Asian Center for Engineering Computations and Software (ACECOMS) established in 1995 is region level, non profit organization located at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand. The prime mission of the Center is to provide an impetus to the research in engineering computations and to the development of quality computer software tools for engineering applications, their wide spread promotion and the training on their effective use.
The prime mission of the Center is to provide an impetus to the research in engineering computations and to the development of quality computer software tools for engineering applications, their wide spread promotion and the training on their effective use.
ACECOMS carries-out its mission through several integrated, and interconnected activities such as:
- Carry-out research and development in engineering computational technology and software.
- Carry-out research and provide consultancy service for the applications of computing tools on the real world problems.
- Provide general and specialized consulting services and support for project design, system development, review and investigation etc.
- Provide training and technical support for development of knowledge, information and skills in computer applications together with the background information and theory.
- Establish networks and associations with regional academic institutions and professional organizations for the technology-sharing and technology transfer.
- Disseminate practical information and knowledge through the publication of magazines, books, training manuals, technical notes and technical reports.
- Encourage active participation of professionals through membership activities.
Main Activities and Objectives:
ACECOMS carries out activities on a non-profit, self-supporting basis and offers equitable financial incentives to associates in the form of royalties and shares in the net income generated from joint activities.
ACECOMS’ major activities revolve around:
- Software development
- Professional training and human resource development
- Research and development
- Publication and member services
- Technology transfer through partner networks
Software Development and Promotion:
The development and promotion of software tools for civil engineering applications include the conception and writing of completely new software and the testing and polishing of programs developed by research projects, individuals and organizations. An equally important activity is the provision of backup and technical support to users of programs promoted by ACECOMS. Software packages developed by ACECOMS, especially for structural engineering applications, include SDL Series (RC Column, RC Beam, ISOFoot, CombFoot); GEAR (a suit of structural and geotechnical programs); BATS (software for 3D analysis of building systems); GRASP (software for 2D analysis of frame/trusses). Software developed by Leading International Organizations are also promoted, for example, PROKON from UK, STRAND from Australia and SAP2000, ETABS & SAFE from USA.
On-going activities include training courses, workshops, seminars and conferences related to computer applications in civil engineering. Courses are organized at AIT and outside in association with its Satellite Centers and other recognized engineering organizations/institutes.
Research and Development (R&D):
R&D projects fall within the overall scope of civil engineering computations. These are sponsored by outside agencies or initiated by ACECOMS itself. Overall nature of R&D can be classified as: Development of civil engineering software
- Development of customized software for organizations
- Technical investigation of projects and performances
- Research related to computer aided analysis and design
Publication and Member Services:
The Center’s newsletter, Civil Computing (formerly Computer Applications in Civil Engineering: ACECOMS News and Views), is published once every three months. R&D carried out by the Center and its associates are documented and reported in the newsletter and in other publications. ACECOMS professional membership has two main categories: Individual and Associate.
Technology Transfer/Satellite Centers:
Realizing a great need for concentrated and coordinated effort to organize and expand the research in engineering computations, software development and human resource development in Asian and Pacific region, regional network of partners of common interest has been setup by ACECOMS. Two main objectives of this network are: Firstly to share the knowledge and experience gained by the leading organizations in this field and secondly to transfer the technology to developing countries. This will be achieved through active associations, affiliations, and joint ventures among engineering and professional bodies at various levels. The Partners will also identify the needs, nature and future trends in engineering related research and human developments with specific reference to the problems related to the home country.